Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pay me to play?

Not too long ago, I had a conversation with a worship leader about the practice of paying musicians who serve on worship teams. Initially, I was surprised by the practice, as I've never ever been in a church that pays its musicians. But it may not be such a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a minute that people should ever be paid to serve. Paying musicians sets a precedent for paying every volunteer, and that's not what service is about. Even if it were offered, I don't think I would accept it (there are plenty of underfunded ministries in most churches, particularly youth groups, that can use the money). Personally I don't need the money; I know plenty of professional musicians who are far better than I am and would do a far better job. If paid to play, then I'm not truly serving out of my love for God and a desire use my gifts in service.

Paying musicians would create an expectation of performance: if you are paid to play, you will be prepared; you will know your music; you will have listened to the worship set before you arrive for rehearsal. If you're not prepared, it's quickly evident, and if you're not scheduled to pay you won't get paid.

If you're like me, you serve because there is an area in the church that aligns with your gifts. You believe you have something to contribute, to the greater good, the Cause, and that by participating you're being obedient to your calling.  if nothing else, I'm prepared because that's important to me – my personal integrity is aligned with my sense of responsibility to my fellow musicians.

Just having the gifts isn't enough. The most suitable individuals to participate on a worship team may not always be the best musicians, but in a team may show surprising ability to contribute to the whole. Too often the attitude and condition of the heart are overlooked in the supposed "need" of a certain number of musicians; the effect that one individual can have on a team can be very demotivating. A right heart and musical talent is a powerful combination.

I don't want to get paid. I want to serve as a musician because I love to play music; to honor God by using these gifts before the congregation is a very high calling. We are all leaders when we are at practice or when we are on stage before the congregation or in the daily grind of life, and it's dishonoring to God if we're not prepared. Ultimately we're playing for an audience of One. Never more, never less.

I want to serve in worship in an environment where the team is valued over the individual; where we lift one another up when we are weak in our abilities and and in our faith; where everyone is ready to play and tech is ready to go when it's time to rehearse. Waiting for everybody to get ready is demotivating; my time is valuable to, please respect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment