Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ministry Communication, Expectations, and Organization

After 25 years of serving and observing, it's clear that there are three areas where ministries frustrate their volunteers (so leaders, pay attention, you need to fix these!).

Communications: The core of many frustrations. It may seem basic, but if you clearly communicate who, what, when, where and why to everybody involved – that includes the volunteers, the audience, the leaders and if it's a children/youth ministry, the parents – everybody will be on the same page.

Expectations: What's my role? What's your role? Who's in charge? What are my responsibilities? Who's on the team? What are the expectations of those participating in the ministry in which I'm volunteering? What will I be doing today? Don't be ambiguous with any of these details. Volunteers need to know what their boundaries are so that they can serve with their gifts and be effective.

Organization: As a volunteer, don't waste my time. I have a specific set of God-given gifts, and a calling to serve, so please be prepared when I show up to serve. Don't make me wait while you prepare your presentation, organize materials or simply get your act together.

It's important not to frustrate volunteers. They want to serve with their gifts and not get frustrated. They want to be motivated, not demotivated. They want to serve with joy, and they want to receive joy from their service. It's the role of the leader to help make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment